- Define abnormal behaviour (psychological disorder) and describe
psychological dysfunction, distress, and atypical or unexpected cultural
- Describe the scientist-practitioner model.
- Place psychopathology in its historical context by identifying historical
conceptions of abnormal behaviour in terms of supernatural influences.
- Trace the major historical developments and underlying assumptions
of the biological approach to understanding abnormal behaviour.
- Describe the different approaches of the psychological tradition
(i.e., psychoanalysis, humanism, and behavioural) with regard to their
explanations of abnormal behaviour.
- Explain the importance of science and the scientific method as applied
to abnormal behaviour.
- Describe the multidimensional-integrative approach to diagnosing
and evaluating abnormal behaviour and explain why it is important.